Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Put Action to Your Faith

James 2:14 - 17 (NLT) What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone? Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing, and you say, “Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well”—but then you don’t give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do? So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.

I have always admired people of action. It is easy to talk big. It is another thing all together to back up one's speech with action. I've tried to pass along to my children some good advise. Hopefully, some of it sticks. One thing I try to do and to teach is--that if given a choice to watch something or to do something, choose doing something. I would rather play ride my bike, than watch a bike race. I would rather play tennis than watch tennis. I would rather give a person something something to eat, than debate that something ought to be done to stop hunger.

I have the great privilege of being part of a team of doers, not just talkers. We are putting action to our faith. Instead of telling hungry people we will pray for you, we are giving them something to eat each month through Life Center Food Pantry. Not every person can volunteer at the pantry. Yet, nearly everyone can give a jar of peanut butter or jelly.

There are dozens of other worthy places to put action to faith. If a person truly seeks after God's will in this, He will direct them to a needed and valuable place of ministry and service. The essence of living is giving. Put action to your faith, and see great results.

Peace,

Stan

2 comments:

ed said...

thanks for being a Barnabas

Swanie said...

I just read your post today. You wouldn't believe what I've been going through in this area. Suffice it to say that I have been greatly blessed to have opportunities to serve in meaningful and one-on-one ways since arriving here. In the most noteworthy way, I was helping a wheelchair bound man who lives as a beggar on the streets. He is severely disabled by cerebral palsey. It was humbling and, honestly, would have been embarrasing to be seen feeding and wiping this man's mouth, lifting him like a baby from his seat to repair a part of it, except that I found it a great honor to serve him and my Maker. I pray God will continue to bless me with opportunities to serve. And I hope God will encourage all to experience the joy and excitement of stepping out of our "comfort zones" and walking in His power and greatness.