Monday, January 12, 2009

Fear Factor

We all have fears. Fear debilitates a person. Fear often is based on the unknown or things over which we have no control. Worry and depression accompany fear. In this world there is much to fear. Terrorists plot our death daily. We are in a financial crisis. Israel and the Palestinians could drag us into world war. Thieves lurk everywhere, including cyberspace. Diseases, global warming, rising health and insurance costs, the cost of college education, will there be social security when I retire. What if the stock market fails? Will my kids turn out ok?

Pastor Chad shared with me from his research that the three greatest fears of man are: 1) fear of death, 2) fear of rejection, and 3) fear of loss. Fear creates panic and loss of judgment. A woman from Arkansas was sitting in her car in a parking lot when she heard a loud bang and felt a sharp pain in the back of her head. Another woman walked past the car and said, “Are you okay?” The lady in pain said, “I have been shot in the head and I am holding my brains in.” It was not her brains. It was dough. A Pillsbury biscuit container had exploded in the back seat, apparently from the heat. Fear causes us to do strange things.

Those who have a strong relationship with the Lord overcome their fears. The psalmist declared, "The Lord is my light and my salvation. Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life. Of whom shall I be afraid." (Psalm 27:1) Yet, there is a fear, which is proper and beneficial. There is great reward for those who fear the Lord. Psalm 25:14 proclaims, “The secret of the Lord is with those who fear Him, and He will show them His covenant.” In Proverbs 22:4 we read, “By humility and the fear of the Lord are riches and honor and life.”

The fear of the Lord is the wholesome dread of displeasing the Lord. To quote one of my facebook friends, Joan, "I fear dishonoring, displeasing or disrespecting the Lord in any way. I love Him and would never want to hurt Him in any way, even though I know I have disappointed Him and myself many, many times. I am not afraid of God, but I fear hurting Him in any way or being or doing any of these negative things towards Him. Fearing the Lord, to me, means giving Him the respect, honor, glory, etc. that He and only He deserves. I know he's a God of his word and He will do what he says he will do. I fear the consequences of my own words and actions because I know he does not compromise." Amen, sister.

If I fear the Lord, then I willingly obey Him, whether or not I immediately see the benefit or advantage. Just like our natural parents, our hevenly father, commands us to do things we do not always understand at the moment. Yet, later we are able to see the wisdom and the love they had in training us to live a better life with better results. God loves you and wants the best for you. Walk in the fear of the Lord. There is great reward.

Peace,

Stan

No comments: