Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy New Year

I know it has been nearly a month since I have last posted. Christmas time is fun, but busy. We conducted a major outreach before Christmas. 157 people made commitments to follow Christ. Our son, Morgan, came home from Thailand. He was in a four month internship there. He also travelled to Myanmar to do relief work and to Pakistan to hold evangelistic meetings and leadership conferences. Whitney was home from college. Laine and Lindy enjoyed their break from school also. Our close friends, the Powers family spent five days with us between Christmas and New Year's. The holidays were fun, but busy.

Now I am back in "work" mode. Well, one trip to Tulsa to get Morgan settled in for his first semester as a full time college student. Then, for sure, I will be in full swing. Yet, during this busy holiday, I have had time to meditate on this new year. 2008 was tumultuous to say the least. We endured a bloody, contentious political season. We elected a mysterious new leader of the free world. He seems to offer hope of a better future. I pray that he is able to deliver.

Our financial system took a hard hit in '08. The economy is completely out of whack. The future is uncertain. We are gambling with the kids college fund to keep us alive today. How can we hold off inflation with all of the money we are throwing at failed companies? Their is so much hatred and bloodshed in the world. Israel is in the middle of conflict again. Pakistan is building up its military on the Indian border. The U.S. continues to bomb the Taliban. Should I go on?

During my time of prayer and seeking the voice of the Shepherd, I believe I have heard His voice. Let me share with you what I heard:
"2009 will be a year of disaster, death and uncertainty. It will be a year of panic and fear.
But, for those who fear the Lord, it will be a year of opportunity and growth. The separation of darkness and light will increase. People will fear the Lord, or fear uncertainty and danger.
'I will show Myself strong, will protect and rescue those who fear Me. I will keep him in perfect peace, who keeps his mind fixed upon Me,' says the Lord."

During the next few weeks I will be teaching and writing about how to develop a closer relationship with God. If we get closer, I believe we will thrive in 2009.

Peace,

Stan

No comments: